Why do you need a toner ?
Why is it that most persons who suffer the most acne don’t use a toner ?
This is what you need to know about a toner. Sometimes called an astringent , toners help to do a number of things on your skin.
They help to open up closed pores further after washing.
They help to return the ph of your skin from alkali after soap to a neutral ph which is the basic ph of our skin.this is why most toners are acidic in nature.
Some toners help to seal open pores after treatments and some toners also help to calm irritated skin, reduce inflammation and prepare skin for a treatment , cream or serum that will sink into the pores.
This is why it is important to use a toner if you have acne because without your pores open, and unlogged your products will get in and block the openings preparing you for more breakouts.
Your choice of toner will depend on the problems you have with your skin or what you try to achieve with your skin.
- If your concerns are for acne, something with salicylic acid is best. The concentration would range from 0.5% to 2% -clearasil ultra rapid action pads, alba botanical acne dote deep cleam astringent
- Homemade toners like acid cider Vinegar work on the same principles of applying acids to help exfoliate and further clean out pores on skin. Vinegar contains a weak acid which is naturally derived from apples.
- For aging skin with imperfections, Glycolic acid from 2% to 5% -pixi glow tonic and glow peel pads, dr.Dennis gross peel pads.
- For skin damaged from sunburn and creams, Glycolic acid and a mix of other acids as well as herbal constituents to calm the skin is useful. – examples -pixi by petra glow tonic , play herbal active with snow petal
- For dry and flaky skin, a herbal hydrosol of rose or lavender essence will calm itching and camomile will reduce inflammation.
When choosing a toner, it is important to see a dermatologist or cosmetolgoist at least once for an assessment of your skin. This will help you to make a choice as to what type to buy and know what your skin really needs.
Not all skin that has acne is oily skin. Dry.skin can have acne too the pathologic process is just different but the end mechanisms are the same.
If you had to scrimp on any part of your regimen for skin, it shouldn’t be your toner.
As always, the products listed above are just a guide..
When we have concluded the talk on various parts of a simple 3 step regimen then we will go on to extras.
What toner do you use and do you like it ? Does it work for you ?
Have you had acne problems and what did you do to help it along ..